Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Something New

The other day I decided to try something I've never done before. (Though chances are many of you have) I found red bell peppers for 49 cents each! How could I not buy a bunch and try freezing them?! I had the basic gist, but since I'd never actually tried it I decided to look it up to make sure I was doing it right. Super simple, and fast.
1st wash and dry peppers
Next, cut peppers and place in single layer on a cookie sheet
Make sure to leave a little bit of space between the peppers so they can freeze faster. You can see that I was able to get 4 of my 7 peppers on one sheet.
I use the bag they come in to make clean-up easy and fast
Place in the freezer for about 30 min. until they look about like this
Put them into freezer bags and put back in until completely frozen
And Voila! 2 bags of frozen peppers waiting for you. And while I waited for the 1st batch on a cookie sheet (didn't feel like washing 2 pans), I also tried this great idea from this link: http://pinksugarbowl.blogspot.com/2012/01/over-ripe-avocados-dont-throw-them-out.html
Yep! Frozen avacados, this makes me happy!
I haven't thawed them yet so I can't say how they are after, but I'm super excited to try them! As for the peppers, you cook them straight from their frozen state, just as you would with store bought ones.

No comments: