Saturday, March 9, 2013

I See You've Constructed a New Light Saber

It's very important that you read the title of this post hearing it in Darth Vader's voice.
Now it's confession time. How many of you closet geeks have constructed your own light saber? Well I can now add myself to this list (sigh), and Douglas, who was good enough to help me. But how is it done? According to Pinterest pool noodles make great light sabers, and they do look good. But what do you do when your child's birthday isn't in pool noodle season? Head to Home Depot, and know it'll take a little more effort than pool noodle sabers.
After not finding pool noodles available I had the great idea of using pipe insulation. And nicely enough we found a pack of 4 already at a pretty good size for under $3! Then as grey light sabers just wouldn't be as cool, we headed over to Walmart for some colored Duct Tape. (Home Depots selection of colors not being to my liking for this project) We got some light blue and green and some shiny silver Duct Tape.
 As for constructing these light sabers I wasn't really excited to have to cut piece after piece to wrap around the whole thing, so we did some long pieces down the length and then some horizontal ones at the end to tidy it up. Use the shiny silver for the handle (I did 4 high) and top it off with some black electrical tape for a bit of detail. And viola awesome light saber in the off season.

1 comment:

Natalie said...

That is awesome...I think I need to make one of those for myself! What a cute idea and birthday party for Japheth!